Tuesday, November 4, 2014

SfN14 Blogging

It's almost SfN time!

Astrocyte, a type of brain cell. (Source, Gerry Shaw)
SfN is the acronym for the Society for Neuroscience conference. Each year, 30,000+ neuroscientists from around the world converge on a major U.S. city to share their recent scientific findings and network with scientists in their field of study. Conferences help scientists make connections that spur important collaborations. This year's SfN meeting is in Washington D.C. from November 15-19.

I'm happy to announce that I've been chosen as an official meeting blogger for SfN14. I'll be blogging on Disorders of the Nervous System (Theme C) and Cognition and Behavior (Theme F). I'm in the process of choosing talks and posters to write about. If you're presenting in these themes and are interested in having your research blogged leave me a comment, tweet at me (@katiesci), or email me at sicknessisfascinating at gmail dot com. I'll be there for the duration of the meeting so I can blog your science even if you're one of the unlucky suckers presenting on the last day. I have been that person so I understand your pain and will help boost your signal!

One aspect of the meeting that was new only last year is the Art of Neuroscience section (I assume that page will be updated with artist info prior to the meeting). In addition to blogging on Themes C and F, I'll be doing highlights of some of the neuro-artists at the meeting. If you're a neuro-artist with a booth at the meeting and want me to highlight you and your work, please contact me.

Finally, don't forget to check out the other official bloggers!

Allison Brager, @beastlyvaulter, at Dormivigilia for Themes E and H
Shelly Fan, @ShellyFan, at Neurorexia for Themes C and F
Adam Feinman, @AMFeinman at M-N-M for Themes C and D
Jordan Gaines Lewis, @GainesOnBrains at Gaines, on Brains for Themes E and F
Caitlin Kirkwood, @SynapticScoop, at The Synaptic Scoop for Themes C and E
Pierre Megevand, @pierre_vanmedge at Neuroscience and Medicine for Themes D and F
Michelle Niedziela, @nerdoscientism at Nerdoscientist for Themes F and G
Millie Rincon-Cortes, @houseofmind, at House of Mind for Themes A and F
Mandy Wintink, @ajwintink at Mandy Wintink for Themes F and H

Here are the Themes:

A. Development
B. Neural excitability, synapses, and glia: Cellular mechanisms
C. Disorders of the nervous system
D. Sensory and motor systems
E. Integrative systems: Neuroendocrinology, neuroimmunology, and homeostatic challenge
F. Cognition and behavior
G. Novel methods and technology development
H. History, teaching, public awareness, and societal impacts in neuroscience

No comments:

Post a Comment